Eastside Community Improvement

The Eastside Co. Real Estate team has always felt it was important to support our community. When we first started practicing real estate we didn’t have the financial resources to donate to charities and schools so we instead donated our time to 826LA’s tutoring program.  If you haven’t heard about it I encourage you to stop by their incredibly fun storefront at 1714 Sunset Blvd.  Look for the Echo Park Time Travel Mart sign and/or the robot in the window.

A lot has changed since those early start up days.  Since 2004 my team and I have been trusted to help represent hundreds of people in our Eastside community to buy and sell residential real estate.  This consistent and growing support from our clients has allowed us to provide for our families and we are now fortunate to be in a position to financially give back.  

So far we've identified a couple ways we will start giving back: financial donations to schools and charities and community improvement projects.  For each home we sell, we will donate to the local public elementary.  The greater the home price the larger the donation we can afford. This is a win for students and as the schools improve this will benefit the neighboring home owners.  For referrals from friends, family and clients we will donate to the charity of choice of the person providing the referral.  Thus far we've donated to environmental funds, cancer research, churches of different denominations and youth programs. The community improvement projects can vary from parkway clean-up and the planting of native plant species to the commission of murals and street art created by local artists.  We can’t draw, paint or sculpt but we admire those that devote their life to pursuing the arts and feel proud to support them.  Along with helping local artists it is our hope to interest the younger members of our community to get involved with our projects to learn and take pride in their community.  Being a new parent myself I would think anything artistic that can distract from screen time can't hurt.

Our first community improvement project is the blighted parkway on the eastern side Silver Lake Blvd between Rockford and Cove.  The parkway is unkempt, overgrown with weeds, trash, cigarette butts, dead trees and dog waste.  We thought, “would it be crazy to think that if this stretch of land was planted with attractive drought tolerant foliage then people would maybe litter less and pick up their dog waste.  We started by sending letters to the neighbors who lived closest to the parkway to learn if anyone had any objection to the planting we were planning.  To our surprise not only was there no objection there were kind words of support and plant donations.  We’ve even been invited into a couple homes to discuss our plans and have made friends in the process.   

As we started the clean up we noticed a stretch of retaining wall on the same parkway that was covered in graffiti and local gang tagging.  The wall had a significant crack in it and needed to be repaired or replaced so until then we thought a mural would help prevent future tagging and would give walkers and joggers something to enjoy as they went by.  For many years we had appreciated the friendly and joyful mural work of local artist Sky Poet and thought she may be a good fit for the project.  We direct messaged her through Instagram to see if she’d be interested in being commissioning to create something for the retaining wall. She not only was interested she was enthusiastic about our mission and the motivation behind the mural. Sky came up with a design and we invited parents and kids from the neighborhood who came out and helped paint it.  

We look forward to identifying other areas in which we can make a positive impact and encourage suggestions.  Suggestions can be sent to info@theeastside.co   

The 7 Basic Rules to 1031 Exchanges for Investors

Thanks to Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code, the payment of income or capital gain tax on the sale of property can be rolled over to a new property. There are an unlimited number of times an individual can successfully rollover gain and postpone tax. You may ultimately make this tax disappear in one of two ways:

  1. Rollover gain and ultimately move into one of your investment properties and declare it your primary residence. Provided you are married and have held the property for five years, reside in the property for a minimum of two years, and then you can exempt $500,000 in taxes upon the ultimate sale.

  2. Capital gains taxes are eliminated upon the death of the property owner. Heirs receive a step up in basis on the date of death.

There are only seven simple points to have a clear understanding of the rules pertaining to 1031 exchanges. With the limited exception of subtle nuances, educated agents can share with customers all they need to know about 1031 exchanges. While the technical terms used to describe properties in an exchange (rollover) are “relinquished properties” and “replacement properties” convey the terms as “old property” and “new property”.


The first requirement for a 1031 exchange (rollover) is that the old property to be sold and the new property to be bought are like kind. Like-kind relates to the use of properties. As a result, the old property as well as the new property, must be held for investment or utilized in a trade or business. Vacant land will always qualify for 1031 treatment whether it is leased or not. Commercial property may be used to purchase a rental home or a lot may be sold to buy a condo.

Section 1031 expressly states that property strictly held for resale does not qualify for an exchange. This means that investors and developers who strictly “flip” properties do not qualify for exchange treatment because their intent is resale rather than holding for an investment. There are numerous court cases seeking to determine the dividing line between held for resale and investment. Intent appears to be the single most significant factor in determining the difference.

Additional factors to consider:

  • Primary residences can never be utilized in an exchange.

  • A taxpayer may sell a property to a related party which requires a two year holding period, a taxpayer may never purchase the replacement (new) property from a related party.

  • Properties to an exchange must be within the United States border.

Example #1: Shaquille owns a tire business, but only leases the building which houses his business. Shaquille wants to retire, sell his business and buy a beachfront condominium with the proceeds. Can he do a 1031 exchange?
No. Because Shaquille does not own the real estate he cannot do a 1031 by selling his business (which is not real estate) and buy real estate to replace it.

Example #2: Howard, a doctor, owns a medical building that he leases to other doctors. Can he exchange the building for a vacant waterfront lot on which to build a home?
Yes. Investment property can always be exchanged for vacant land held for investment purposes.


The Internal Revenue Code requires that the new property be identified within 45 days of the closing of the sale of the old property.

The 45 days commence the day after closing and are calendar days. If the 45th day falls on a holiday, that day is the deadline for the identification of the new properties. No extensions are allowed under any circumstances. If you have not entered into a contract by midnight of the 45th a list of properties must be furnished and must be specific. It must show the property address, the legal description or other means of specific identification.

Up to three potential new properties can be identified without regard to cost. If you wish to identify more than three potential replacements, the IRS limits the total value of all of the properties that you are identifying to be less than double the value of the property that you sold. This is known as the 200% rule. Accordingly, more than three properties may be identified as replacements however, if the taxpayer exceeds the 200% limit the whole exchange may be disallowed. As a result, the logical rule for investors is to keep the list to three or fewer properties. It is the responsibility of the qualified intermediary to accept the list on behalf of the IRS and document the date it was received however, no formal filing is required to be made with the IRS.

Example #1: Sarah sells her old property for $400,000. on February 1st. She may identify up to three new properties of any value within forty-five days of closing.

Example #2: Ludwig wants to identify four new replacement lots each selling for $250,000. Will this work?
No. This is not acceptable as the four properties total $1,000,000 and therefore exceed 200% of the property being sold.


This rule is simple and straight forward. Section 1031 requires that the purchase and closing of one or more of the new properties occur by the 180th day of the closing of the old property. The property being purchased must be one or more of the properties listed on the 45 day identification list. A new property may not be introduced after 45 days. These time frames run concurrently, therefore when the 45 days are up the taxpayer only has 135 days remaining to close. Again there are no extensions due to title defects or otherwise. Closed means title is required to pass before the 180th day.

Example #1: Bonita identified a condominium under construction within 45 days of her sale. The developer now informs Bonita it will not be completed and ready to close with title passing within the 180 day period. Susan, through no fault of her own is prohibited to close within 180 days, accordingly, her exchange will fail.


Sellers cannot touch the money in between the sale of their old property and the purchase of their new property. By law the taxpayer must use an independent third party commonly known as an exchange partner and/or intermediary to handle the change. The party who serves in this role cannot be someone with whom the taxpayer has had a family relationship or alternatively a business relationship during the preceding two years. The function of the exchange partner/intermediary is to prepare the documents required by the IRS at the time of the sale of the old property and at the time of the purchase of the new property. The intermediary must hold the proceeds of the sale in a separate account until the purchase of the new property is completed. The taxpayer is entitled to the interest of these funds and must treat the interest as ordinary income during the period of escrow.

If 1031 documents are prepared incorrectly, the IRS will disallow the exchange. No state or the federal government, regulates qualified intermediaries. The majority of companies performing this function are not bonded as there are no licensing requirements. Through the Florida BAR client relief fund, each attorney in the state of Florida is, in reality, bonded up to $1,000,000 per transaction.

Example #1: Lia copies 1031 forms she received and sets up a special account at her bank for the sale proceeds to go into following closing. She never touches the funds and had her bank wire all of the proceeds to the title company for her new purchase property. Will this suffice?
No. By failing to have a qualified intermediary, Lia exercised dominion and control over the funds and therefore the exchange will be disqualified.


Section 1031 requires that the taxpayer listed on the old property be the same taxpayer listed on the new property. If you and your husband/wife/other are married and sell the old property than you and your husband/wife/other must also be on the title to the new property. If a trust or corporation is in title to the old property that same trust or corporation must be on title to the new property.

If only you are on the old property, but your husband/wife/other is required to be on title to the new property to help qualify for the loan, one solution to avoid this problem prior to the sale would be for you to Quit Claim your interest to yourself and your husband/wife/other. 

Example #1: Nobie owns a warehouse building in her own name but wants to buy a condominium in the name of a new limited liability company she wants to set up. Can she do this?
No. The new property must be acquired in his own name to successfully complete the exchange.

Example #2: Jamie is married to Jason and owned a condominium prior to her marriage that is titled in her sole name. Can she take title to the new lot purchase in both her name and Jason's name?
No. Jamie must first complete his exchange in his own name. Afterwards he may Quit Claim his interest to herself and Jason as husband and wife after the exchange is complete.


In order to defer 100% of the tax on the gain of the sale of old property, the new property must be of equal or greater value. There are actually two requirements within this rule. First, the new property has to be of greater or equal value of the one which is sold. Secondly, all of the cash profits must be reinvested. In reality you may deduct closing expenses and commissions from the sale of the property being sold. If the property is being sold for $500,000 and the actual net amount after closing expenses is $450,000 all that is required to be spent for the replacement property is a total of $450,000. Closing expenses associated with the purchase may be added into the purchase, as well as capital improvements completed within 180 days together with furnishings. In fact, a taxpayer may make an unlimited number of capital improvements as well as spend up to 15% of the acquisition cost on personal property.

A party who elects to do an exchange and take cash out may do so, however, any cash received will be taxed at the corresponding rate of ordinary income if held for less than one year or 15% if held for more than one year.

Example #1: Kumar owns a property he paid $250,000 for and is now selling for $400,000. He has a $150,000.00 mortgage against the property and wants to buy a smaller condo for $250,000 with the cash. Does this qualify for tax deferral treatment?
No. Kumar is buying down from $400,000 to $250,000. Accordingly, tax is owed on the amount of the buy down, which is $150,000.

Example #2: Kumar decides to buy a replacement property for $500,000.00 and obtains a $400,000 loan using $100,000 of the $150,000. cash that the qualified intermediary is holding. Is his exchange fully deferred?
No. Despite buying up, Kumar did not use all of the cash and will be taxed on $50,000.00.


All previous requirements are applicable…..and then some. A reverse may come in handy when a seller does not yet have a buyer for the property that he wishes to sell and is afraid of losing the new property he wishes to acquire. In the fall of 2000, the IRS issued a revenue procedure that established the concept of an "exchange accommodation title holder" (another name for a qualified intermediary). Simply put, a taxpayer may not have both the old as well as the new property titled in their name at the same time and still qualify for a reverse exchange.

The IRS has set up guidelines which allow the taxpayer to acquire the new property before the old property is sold provided title is taken in the name of the exchange accommodation title holder (typically a limited liability company which is created). Under this scenario an entity, other than the taxpayer, will hold legal title in what is commonly referred to as a qualified parking arrangement until such time as the old property is sold. The old property must be sold and closed within 180 days of first acquiring title to the new property. As soon as the old property is sold the proceeds are then directed to the exchange accommodation title holder at which time the property may be deeded out of the parking arrangement directly to the taxpayer. This procedure is actually quite simple provided cash is utilized to fund the new purchase. The vast majority of lenders simply will not lend funds to a third party entity and only to the taxpayer.

If financing the new property cannot be avoided then title must be conveyed out of the taxpayers name to a straw person prior to acquiring the new property. This will avoid having title to the old property and title to the new property being in the taxpayer’s name at the same time which is a prohibited transaction. Although this is an acceptable procedure to the IRS the conveyance to the straw person must be reported as an arm’s length transaction the straw person will then convey title to the ultimate purchase. 



In conclusion, there are countless scenarios involving 1031 exchanges with each and every one being unique with its own set of facts and circumstances. If you understand the seven technical requirements set forth above, you clearly understand 95% of all aspects of Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code. If you have questions, or have facts or circumstances which you are uncertain of, I would greatly encourage you to consult a CPA or an attorney who has experience and is knowledgeable with 1031 tax deferred exchanges.